This January 1918 view of Canal Street looks toward the downtown side and in toward the river from Carondelet Street. In the background we see B. Cohn Co. and the Marks Isaacs Company, advertising Millinery, Ladies Ready To Wear, etc. Prominent in the center of the picture is a single truck deck roof streetcar on the outer riverbound track. Ahead of it is an arch roof streetcar, which would have to be one of the 400-449 series double truck cars, probably on either the Tulane or the St. Charles belt line, heading for the loop at the foot of Canal.
Previous Picture | Next Picture